NCL impacts legislation and public policy by:
- Working with Congressional staff on the House and Senate committees and individual member offices;
- Working in coalition with other groups including the Committee for Education Funding;
- Providing timely policy updates and alerts to NCL Members that inform and engage the adult education community nation-wide in the federal legislative process;
- Collaborating with government agencies such as U. S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE); and
- Hosting Congressional briefings in partnership with the House Adult Literacy Caucus.
NCL promotes partnerships and raises awareness of literacy by:
- Conducting advocacy campaigns to galvanize support for adult education and family literacy, such as National Adult Education & Family Literacy Week and Investing in Adult Education PAYS!
- Leading workshops, panel presentations, and debates at regional and national conferences;
- Using social media, Facebook and Twitter, to inform advocates and promote public policies that support adult education and literacy.