The NC L Literacy Leadership Awards recognize individuals and organizations that have made extraordinary national contributions to improving adult literacy and English language learning in the United States. Award recipients have demonstrated a deep and sustained individual or corporate commitment by supporting literacy continuously across the lifespan on the local, state, and national level.
For 2016, the NCL will recognize the following outstanding individuals and organizations:
- Johan Uvin, Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, U.S. Department of Education, for his long-standing commitment to advancing adult education at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Senator Jack Reed, who has been a champion for Adult Education funding in the U.S. Senate, and at the forefront of legislative efforts to strengthen Adult Education research and Adult Education’s role in the workforce system and Career and Technical Education.
- The Division of Consumer & Business Education at the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, for its commitment to serving and guiding adults with limited reading ability, and for its outreach to those working with them, particularly teachers in adult basic education and ESL programs.
- Margaret Becker Patterson, of Research Allies for Lifelong Learning, and Marty Finsterbusch, of VALUE USA, for ALLIES, a groundbreaking research study on adult learner leadership.
- John Y. Cole, Library of Congress Historian and founding Director of the Center for the Book, who has been instrumental in shaping numerous literacy and reading-promotion programs during his 50-year tenure at the Library, including the Library of Congress Literacy Awards.
In addition, retiring Congressman Rubén Hinojosa (D-TX), the Co-chair of the House Adult Literacy Caucus, will receive special recognition for his life-long commitment in support of adult education, and for outstanding leadership in advocating education as a congressional and national priority.
Past award recipients:
- Senator Jim Webb
- David Baldacci, author and founder of the Wish You Well Foundation
- Ruth J. Colvin, Founder of Literacy Volunteers of Greater Syracuse and Literacy Volunteers of America, Inc. (now ProLiteracy)
- The Save Adult Ed Campaign, a Los Angeles-based adult education advocacy group
- Representative Jared Polis
- John Corcoran, former adult literacy student and founder of the John Corcoran Foundation (2011)
- The Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council, representing the National Literacy*AmeriCorps program (2011)
- U.S.A. Learns (2011)
- Senator Thomas Harkin
- Representative John Yarmuth
- Kentucky Education Television (KET)
- McDonald’s English Under the Arches program
- Archie Willard, Adult Learner Advocate and Leader
- Representative Raúl Grijalva
- Senator Patricia Murray
- Home Safety Council President Meri-K Appy
- Brenda Dann-Messier, President and CEO of Dorcas Place
- Calvin Miles, Adult Learner and Advocate
- Gretchen Wilson, Recording Artist and GED Graduate
- Representative Rubén Hinojosa
- Better World Books
- The National Council of La Raza
- Dr. John Comings, former Director of the National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy at the Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Representative Michael Castle
- Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
- David A. Perdue Jr., former Chairman and CEO of Dollar General
- Dr. Irwin Kirsch, Director of the Center for Global Assessment, Educational Testing Service
- The UPS Foundation
- Representative William F. Goodling
- Senator Edward M. Kennedy
- The Dollar General Literacy Foundation
- Art Ellison, New Hampshire State Director of Adult Education
- Garrett Murphy, Former New York State Director of Adult Education